Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Been Awhile...

It's been a while since my last post. Partly due to traveling; partly due to getting into some genealogical research; partly due to not having much to say. I usually write at night, but lately when I get online at night I get absorbed tracing family history.

A few weeks ago I was in West Virginia for the weekend to surprise my parents and my aunt. It had been 5 years since my last trip there, and I wanted to see the old family cemetery but there wasn't time on this trip. My great grandparents and my great-great grandparents are among those buried here. Since that trip, I have discovered the obituary of my great-great grandfather, and have been able to trace back to his grandfather, John Gray - a Revolutionary War veteran who was born in Pennsylania in 1761.

Below is the obituary of my great-great grandfather:
Francis M. GRAY - One of the oldest soldiers and citizens of this community was laid to rest on 6 May 1923 in the Gray Cemetery near Kausooth. He was 82 years and 26 days old. He had walked with a painful limb for about sixty years, the result of a wound received from a rebel bullet in the years of 1862 to 1865. His wife preceded him in death over 16 years ago. He lived with his son Jason on the home farm for a while & from there he went to this daughter's home. She was Mrs. Melvin Siburt & he lived there until she died. He came to his daughter, Lucinda Burge & stayed until death called him home. He was united in marriage to Miss Jane McCollough on 4 Jul 1862 & to them were born eight children, four girls & four boys. One boy died in infancy. Andrew died when about 35 years of age. Mrs. Melvin Siburt & Mrs. Andrew McCardle died several years ago. Those living are: Jason Gray of Kausooth; Mrs. Lucinda Burge, Cameron, WV; Ben Gray, Freeport, OH & Mrs. Cora Snedeker of Washington, PA. Funeral services were conducted at the home by Rev. J. M. Rine. Pallbearers were his two sons, Jason & Ben Gray; two grandsons, Chester & John Gray & two nephews, J. B. Gray & Madison Gray of Moundsville, WV. Interment was in the family burial ground on the home farm near Kausooth, Marshall Co, WV.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow! I was just reading some entries that I missed and saw this one. I didn't know you were into our family history, a subject that has always intrigued me as well! I loved peppering Grandma Gray, Aunt Renie and Aunt Nita with questions about our ancestors when I was a little girl. I wish I would have written so much of it down. I would love to know more as you do further research! Love you!

Anonymous said...

This is my family too. Please if you read this, contact me at wvnurse@hotmail.com