Sunday, August 06, 2006

The Prodigal

Dwight was on vacation today. Chuck Adair preached this morning in his absence. His text was Luke 15. I can't think of anyone more suited to speak from the perspective of the prodigal son. Chuck's openness in taking responsibility for his actions, his brokenness, and his subsequent recognition of and acceptance of God's grace are the embodiment of the reconciliation Jesus describes in this parable. I have confidence that God will do great things through Chuck in ministry to those who are in prison and those who are transitioning out of prison.

Coincidentally, I had chosen Luke 15 to discuss in the Covenant class this morning. I believe that the primary group Jesus is speaking to in these three parables is the pharisees and teachers who were mumbling about his associating with sinners. I think that we sometimes focus so much on the repentance of the younger brother and the acceptance of the father that we overlook the character that I think was Jesus' main point - the older brother and his attitude. I am proud of Skillman and how we have responded to Chuck since his release from prison.

No comments: