Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Pro Life...

Sunday's Morning News featured an interview with Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee. I was impressed by his response to a question on how his agenda, as a Republican and an evangelical, differed from that of a standard Christian conservative...
I'm not sure that it differs. I think it may expand, in that sometimes Christian conservatives are perceived only to care about a child prior to his birth. I think if we're truly going to be faithful to an evangelical worldview, our concern for the child only starts before his birth. I'm pro-life, which means I care about the child not only before he's born, but I want to make sure after he's born that he's going to be healthy, well-educated, that he'll live in a safe neighborhood, that he'll be able one day to get a good job and provide for himself. For me, that's an equally important part of being pro-life as to say I don't want to see him get aborted. Also, I don't want to abort his opportunities by policies that will be an impediment to him after he's born.

That's a definition of pro-life that I can live with.

No comments: