Sunday, July 09, 2006

Recovery Day 2; More Politics and Religion

Not much change today - movement hurts, but I mostly sit with my leg propped up. Still quite swollen and one of my incisions seeps when I do my bending and straightening exercises. Ice helps. According to the Dr. tomorrow should be the day it begins to start feeling a little better. Don't know how long I'll be on crutches...
_____________

Last Sunday morning we acknowledged the 4th of July by singing 3 patriotic songs and participating in a unison congregational prayer for our country and our elected leaders. I have to admit to a level of ambivalance and some degree of discomfort for a number of reasons.

On one hand I am greatful to have been born into the greatest country in the world. I am greatful for the courage and the sacrifices that have been made by so many from signers of the Declaration of Independence to all those who have fought for freedom; to the framers of our constitution and to all those who have protected it over the past two centuries; for the Bill of Rights and, as Lincoln phrased it, government of the people, by the people, and for the people.

On the other hand, the United States is not the kingdom of God on earth, and Americans are not the chosen people. I wonder if sometimes we don't get that confused.

No comments: