Saturday, January 20, 2007

Fredericksburg 35, Kerville Tivy 28

Yesterday I drove nearly 600 miles round trip to referee a high school basketball game. It was a district rivalry game between two small Texas towns, nice crowd, plenty of intensity among the coaches and players, not much scoring. I got to work with two competent and experienced co-officials and we had a solid game.

Why would 3 officials drive 283 miles from Dallas to Fredericksburg? When the coaches involved in a district game are unable to agree on the officials assigned by their local officals chapter - in this case the San Antonio chapter - they can appeal to the University Interscholastic League (Texas High School sports governing body) to have officials assigned from another chapter in the state.

When the UIL gets involved with the assigning of officials for regular season games, it becomes somewhat of a high profile assignment, and is therefore considered something of a privilege to get such an assignment. After being on the road for more than 10 hours, I'm not sure how much of a privilege...I did enjoy talking basketball and getting to know my partners better, it was fun working the game, and I'm glad to have had the experience, but I think I would be willing for someone else to enjoy the next 'privilege'.

No comments: